The Glenelly Estate is in the Ida’s Valley, located in Stellenbosch, on the southern slopes of the Simonsberg Mountain. Its origins date back to the seventeenth century. Simon van der Stel, Governor of the Cape, gave the land to the Huguenot Francois Villion. In 1812, the estate passed to Johan Peter de Villiers, and finally in 1911 it became the property of a British Famliy, the Garlicks. They owned it for 92 years until its purchase in 2003 by May-Eliane de Lencquesaing, who for over 30 years was the owner of the famous Bordeaux Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande, Pauillac Grand Cru Classe.
This estate of 123 hectares formerly devoted to fruit production had, thanks to its terroir, a vocation for wine producing, which has been a specialty of this region since the seventeenth century. An exhaustive study of soil and weather conditions lead to the planting of 54.5 hectares of red varieties, 5.5 hectares of white and 5 hectares of olive trees. Central to this impressive circle of mountains, vineyards and olive groves, lies the ’Manor House’ in the Cape Dutch style, white walls and thatched roof, surrounded by newly renovated farm buildings and beautiful gardens. Four lakes provide water supply whilst the flora and fauna add to the beauty of this site. The year 2009 saw the inauguration of the winery: 6,000 m˛ anchored in the mountains on 4 floors functioning by gravity flow. This very modern structure was designed as an excellent environmentally friendly working tool (consumption of electricity and water reduced, keeping constant temperature etc...)
This French adventure on African soil is based on a young, professional and motivated team of South Africans with very special attention given to social conditions of each and every employee. Because wine must be a LINK between people, a LIVING messenger of our CULTURE.