Wine Advocate 98 points - Tasted at the property, the L’Evangile 2010 was an absolute corker in barrel and now in bottle, the nose is a brooding, almost saturnine beast that bides its time and when your back is turned, it unfurls to offer beautiful, very pure dark red cherry fruit laced with dates, blueberry and truffle. The palate is medium-bodied with very fine tannins on the entry. This has immense backbone and focus, every flavour in its right price. There are subtle notes of raspberry, wild strawberry, cedar, white pepper and black truffle, whilst the finish is incredibly powerful, akin to the great vintages of yesteryear. Cellar and long life ahead required. Tasted November 2012. (Mar 2013)
The Léglise family from Libourne founded what is now Château L’Evangile. They were actively involved, around the middle of the 18th century, in building the Pomerol vineyard. L’Evangile appeared in the 1741 land registry under the name of Fazilleau. At the turn of the 19th century, the estate already had much of its current configuration, stretching over some 13 hectares, when it was sold to a lawyer named Isambert. He renamed the estate "L’Evangile”.
In 1862, L’Evangile was purchased by Paul Chaperon, whose descendants, the Ducasse family, would remain the property’s owners until 1990. Paul Chaperon went on making the estate becoming famous, and constructed the L’Evangile in the style of the Second Empire. In the second edition of Cocks Féret in 1868, L’Evangile is registered and is considered as a "Upper-Pomerol 1st growth wine”. Upon the death of Paul Chaperon around 1900, his descendants would run the estate until Louis Ducasse took over the property, which was then in decline and damaged by the frosts of 1956. He put forth great efforts in renewing the vineyard and restoring the L’Evangile name. In 1982, his widow, Simone Ducasse, would continue the family’s role in running the estate.
In 1990, Domaines Barons de Rothschild (Lafite) acquired L’Evangile from the Ducasse family. DBR was interested in bringing sustained care to the operation. DBR’s initial influence included a more refined selection of the fine wines, and the creation of Blason de L’Evangile as a second wine. Efforts also included enhancing the vines’ health with a restoration and renewal plan partially completed until 1998.
The complete renovation of the tank-room and the chais in 2002 will allow the property to complete its new configuration.